Tuesday, August 16, 2016

Morning Glory

Have you every picked up a fender bunny at the rally, late one night. Drank all night with her, had a great time. And in the morning she give you one last ride, we call that morning glory! Well we had our morning glory not too long ago, and it isn’t as cool as that but a 75 FXE is still pretty cool. Josh was surfing the net and found an ad for a shovelhead. Like always I call about it. Come to find out it was my buddy Eric’s dad Randy. He worked nights so Josh and I had to meet up with him at 5am! I’m always telling Josh, you got to go when someone wants to sell; no matter what time of day it is. If its 3am well I guess we will see them then. Randy had bought the bike over a year ago; it was his big dream, an old shovelhead. Since then his Knees gave out on him so he couldn’t ride it. I felt so bad for the guy to finally get the dream bike only to not be able to ride it. I didn’t even try to dicker I just gave him what he was asking for the bike. I couldn’t imagine getting so close to something you’ve dreamed about only to have it taken away. Although this seems sad, Randy was not. He had all kinds of toys at his house. A big lifted up truck, 4 wheelers. So although one dream is lost another takes it place. I loved the bike, I had dreams of 6 over tubes and a king queen chopper seat. But I had to stay focused, there was another shovelhead a lady called about the day before and I was heading her way. The morning air was crisp, the sun was coming up and it was looking like summer would soon be upon us. I hadn’t really gotten much info on what this bike was. The lady said it was an old FX that her dad had owned; it only had 12,000 miles on it. Josh and I pulled in to the house a little lady walked out; gun on her hip; and you could see she was a biker chick. You know the kind, the no shit attitude, her name was Shari. Shari dad had owned the bike. I asked how did it only have 12,000 miles on it and the story began. As Shari put it “In 1970 her dad bought a brand new Harley Davidson FLH, He loved that bike and rode it everywhere. Now it was the 70’s and we lived in Detroit, he had it for two years then the bike came up missing. His bike never turned up, the insurance company bought him a brand new 1973 FLH. The bike you see here and he rode it a bit. Never really like it as much as the 70 FLH. My dad was a tough S.O.B., he was not the guy you messed with; he got word that his bike was at a local club house. He called a buddy to head over there with him. When they got there, he told his friend to wait outside until he came back out. ”Now most guy would of just called the cops or just let it go, not my dad” Sheri said. He went in that house, and a few minutes later he came out and his bike was getting pushed around from the back. Shari couldn’t remember what happed to the 70 FLH or why this bike just sat. She figured since her old man got a free bike he most of used the tag off the 73 for the 70 and just kept riding it. He loved that old bike, a few years ago he passed away and Shari wanted to get rid of this bike because she was tired of pushing it around the garage. She didn’t need the money she was pretty well off. I asked “what do you want for the bike”. She said $2000 bucks now that is a great deal, I knew that and Shari knew that, but I can’t pay asking price that just not me. So I said $1500? She quickly replied “1750” I said “sure”, Shari laughed and said “I knew you going to say that I was ready for you”! I had Josh load the bike up and I started to pay her. Shari looked at me and said “my friend said to call you and you would show up in a truck and trailer to buy it, but you only come once”. I said “well I am getting older”. (I mean I don’t have a lot of time lol). Two shovels in the trailer, Josh and I headed for the shop. It had been a great morning, it was Morning Glory.

No comments:

Post a Comment